TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Tippecanoe County Sheriff Barry Richard said a citation will not be issued in the case of two peacocks roaming free in Battle Ground. Instead, he wants to sit down and discuss the matter with the property owners.
"There is not going to be a citation issued on the situation," Richard said Thursday afternoon.
"I drove out there where the peacocks reside and where they're at and kind of like, being able to assess what the situation is myself, personally," said Richard.
As News 18 reported on Wednesday, peacocks have roamed free on the property since the 1970s. However, a county animal control officer has said the birds are a public nuisance and violate a county ordinance.
"He did give warnings prior to a citation and he did do his job, as far as the law is concerned, the county ordinance is," said Richard.
Even so, Sheriff Richard wants to resolve the issue by talking with the property owners.
"We need to look at and be reasonable and have some discretion in the situation and be able to resolve it without having any punitive actions through the legal course," said Richard.
He hopes they can reach a common ground, making sure the public and the animals are safe.
"Us working together and having the conversations and being able to talk about how they may have some ideas, what they would like to see themselves do. That would be very beneficial to all of us," said Richard.
Sheriff Richard will meet with the owners Friday morning. They tell News 18 they are glad progress is being made, but believe the issue isn't over just yet.
- Sheriff: No citation in the case of the peacocks
- Peacocks on the Loose in Pennsylvania Neighborhood
- Sheriff's Deputy Helps Out Homeless Panhandler Instead Of Issuing A Citation
- Battle Ground woman fights to keep peacocks on her property
- Signs will warn drivers of peacocks in Battle Ground
- Peacock found impaled by a 3-foot-long arrow in Dunedin
- Sheriff: Two dead in 'planned killing spree'
- Sheriff: Court bailiffs trained to stop attacks
- Sheriff's disturbing comments caught on body cam
- Sheriff: Major narcotics network busted, seven arrested