INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Tyler Scaife scored 19 points, including the game-winning basket with 4.3 seconds left, and ninth-seeded Rutgers upended No. 8 seed Purdue 62-60 in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday.
After The Boilermakers tied it at 60 on two free throws by Dominique Oden with 33.2 seconds left, the Scarlet Knights let the clock wind down. Scaife went left around a high screen and continued around a defender before pulling up for a 10-foot contested jumper.
Without a timeout, Purdue hurried the ball downcourt before Oden had a good look at a 3-pointer that went off the front of the rim.
Rutgers (20-11) meets top-seeded and 13th-ranked Ohio State in the quarterfinals on Friday.
The Scarlet Knights had a nine-point lead with less than three minutes left but Purdue erased that as Oden scored seven points, including a 3-point play to tied it at the 1:50 mark. Scaife, who moved past Cappie Pondexter into second on Rutgers' all-time list with 2,220 points, made it 60-58 with 1:12 to play.
Oden had 25 points for the Boilermakers (18-13).
- Scaife has 19, winner as Rutgers women top Purdue in Big Ten
- Highlights & Postgame: Purdue beats Rutgers, advances in Big Ten tournament
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule
- Purdue women upset #21 Rutgers, 47-33
- No. 8 Purdue looks to avoid upset to Rutgers in Big Ten quarterfinal matchup
- Purdue women's basketball 2018-19 Big Ten opponents announced
- Purdue women to host Miami in ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten
- Purdue volleyball trio garners Big Ten awards
- McLaughlin hits game-winner, Purdue women top IUPUI, 48-46