WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — No. 19 Purdue split duals in its home opener at Holloway Gymnasium on Monday. In their first dual, the Boilermakers captured eight weights, including five with bonus points, in a 31-9 win over SIU Edwardsville. No. 23 Central Michigan won the five final weights to upend Purdue 24-10 in the endcap. With the split, the Boilermakers move their dual record to 4-1.
Purdue's one-two punch at 125 and 133 pounds emerged as double winners on the day. Luke Welch, the nation's 18th-ranked 125-pounder, opened with an 8-2 showing against SIU Edwardsville's Zac Genztler. With four takedowns, Welch put up his second major decision of the season, beating Drew Hildebrandt of Central Michigan 10-2 in his second match. The redshirt senior's win over the Chippewa marked the 60th victory of his Boilermaker career as he moved his season mark to 14-2.
Four takedowns, three escapes and 4:05 of riding time earned Ben Thornton a 14-4 major decision over Joe Antonelli of SIU Edwardsville in his first match. The major decision was the third of the redshirt junior's season and his fourth with bonus points. Thornton then disposed of CMU's Dresden Simon with a 6-3 decision. Hailing from Stoddard, Wisconsin, Thornton improved to 13-4 with the two wins.
Other notable victories from the home opener included true freshman 184-pounder Max Lyon shutting out Cougar Jake Godinez 9-0 for his team-leading sixth major decision of the season and Cole Wysocki's 1-0 decision over Blake Montrie of Central Michigan for the first dual victory of his career.
The Boilermakers will break for the holidays and return to competition at the 55th annual Ken Kraft Midlands Championships on Dec. 29 and 30. Due to renovations at Welsh-Ryan Arena, the two-day tournament will be held at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
- Purdue wrestling splits duals in home-opener
- Purdue splits with Indiana State
- Purdue baseball set for home-opener
- Purdue fans gear up for men's basketball home opener
- Live report: Home-opening double-header for Purdue baseball
- Purdue softball wins home-opener 6-3 over Illinois
- Purdue baseball sweeps season-opening double-header
- Purdue volleyball stays perfect on opening day
- Harrison wins sectional boys wrestling championship
- Local wrestling event benefits foster children