WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue (13-32, 4-8 B1G) took its series opener against Wisconsin (20-17, 4-6 B1G) 3-2 at Goodman Diamond. Sydney Bates delivered a complete game to earn the victory while Stephanie Ramsey and Emily Kenny continue to fuel the offense.
The Boilermakers gave Bates a 2-0 lead from the start as Kenny roped a two-out double to the wall in left center, scoring Ryleigh Scott and Jenny Behan. With the scoreboard in her favor, Bates delivered five-straight scoreless frames to begin the game. Ramsey gave Bates a third run to work with in the top of the fifth with an RBI double, scoring Madison Douglass who was pinch running for Lexi Huffman. Huffman doubled to leadoff the inning.
The run ended up being the difference as the Badgers responded with back-to-back home runs in the sixth to cut Purdue's lead to one. Following the pair of runs, Bates responded by retiring the next two batters she faced and induced three ground balls in the seventh to slam the door.
The redshirt freshman transfer out of Davie, Florida, allowed just six hits and a walk while striking out five batters and inducing 10 ground-ball outs. Ramsey finished the game 3-for-4 while Behan, Kenny, Mallory Baker and Huffman all earned a hit on the day.
- Purdue softball takes game one of Wisconsin series 3-2
- Purdue softball beats Northwestern to take series
- Purdue softball takes series opener over Iowa 3-1
- Purdue softball bounced by Wisconsin in Big Ten Tourney
- Purdue set for Northwestern series
- Minnesota rides perfect game to 9-0 shutout of Purdue softball
- Purdue softball tops Northwestern 14-6
- No. 21 Purdue volleyball sweeps No. 10 Wisconsin
- Purdue WBB locks down Wisconsin for first conference win
- HIGHLIGHTS: Hot start propels No. 3 Purdue past Wisconsin