MUNCIE, Ind. (AP) — Police say a teenager who was wandering a central Indiana high school with 10 knives strapped to his body has been arrested.
Thomas Lon Owens III was apprehended at Central High School in Muncie Wednesday, shortly after students were dismissed for the day. He is preliminarily charged with trespassing and possession of knives on school property.
The 18-year-old Owens, who is not a student at Central High, told police he was meeting a friend.
The Star Press reports that a police affidavit says Owens maintained he had "no intention of hurting anyone at the school" and that he always carries several knives under his leather jacket in summer months. Owens' mother corroborated his claims about the coat and knives.
Court records don't list a lawyer to speak on Owens' behalf.
- Police arrest teen carrying 10 knives at Indiana school
- Man arrested for carrying mobile meth lab, hitting Lafayette police officer
- 5 arrested following threat against southern Indiana school
- Wal-Mart to carry opioid disposal kits
- Indiana town marshal arrested following medication theft
- Indiana man, 20, arrested in synagogue vandalism
- Indiana teen killed after sledding into path of car
- Teen gets 64 years for fatal shooting of Indiana woman
- Indiana schools brace for budget changes
- Indiana high school football sectional pairings