FLORA, Ind. (WLFI/WISH) — The review of a fatal fire in Flora confirmed the fire that killed four young girls was set intentionally.
In November, the Indiana State Police requested the Indianapolis Fire Department conduct a peer review of the origin and cause of the house fire that happened Nov. 21, 2016 in Flora. The fire claimed the lives of four Flora sisters. The review, which started the first week in December 2017, was finished Thursday.
A meeting to summarize the peer review analysis was held January 30th with detectives from the Indiana State Police, members of the Indianapolis Fire Department Fire Investigation Section and Indiana State Fire Marshal personnel.
According to the Indiana State Police, the review focused on examining witness reports – including firefighters, law enforcement, and civilian witnesses. IFD investigators also conducted a physical examination of the fire scene.
Additionally, the content of two “Origin & Cause” reports was reviewed. One report was prepared by former Deputy Fire Marshal Dennis Randle, representing the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s office. The second report was completed by Michael Vergon, of Vergon & Associates Fire Investigation, which was retained by legal counsel representing the mother of the four deceased fire victims.
Both reports concluded the fire was intentionally set. Since it is confirmed the fire was determined to have been intentionally set, the criminal investigation being conducted by the Indiana State Police will continue.
Anyone with information regarding this arson fire is asked to call 1-800-382-4628. Callers may remain anonymous.
- Peer review: Flora fire that killed four girls was set intentionally
- Residents respond to IFD conducting a peer review on the Flora fire case
- IFD to conduct peer review of state police investigation into fatal Flora fire
- Flora fire chief resigns
- Questions linger about Flora fire investigation
- Lafayette community supports Flora fire victims
- Flora fire investigation continues 1 year later
- ISP responds to NAACP allegation about Flora fire investigation
- Residents speak out on Flora fire chief's resignation
- Flora fire chief named after former chief resigned