IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Carsen Edwards scored 22 points and Vincent Edwards had 19 Saturday, leading No. 3 Purdue to its 15th straight victory with an 87-64 rout of Iowa.
P.J. Thompson added 14 points for the Boilermakers (19-2, 8-0 Big Ten). Purdue ended a four-game road losing streak against the Hawkeyes (10-11, 1-7) by making 20 of 33 3-pointers.
Purdue reeled off 18 straight points to lead 24-6. The Boilermakers extended their lead to 24 late in the first half after hitting 10 of 11 3s in one stretch and were up 51-20 at halftime.
Purdue shot 69 percent in the first half while holding the Hawkeyes to 25 percent.
Luka Gazra had 19 points for Iowa, which has dropped five of its last six games. The Hawkeyes went on a late 13-3 run to prevent the final margin from becoming even more lopsided.
THE BIG PICTURE
Purdue: The Boilermakers have Ohio State at their heels in what has become a two-team race for the Big Ten title. But after this performance against the Hawkeyes, it's hard to call anyone but the Boilermakers the favorite.
Iowa: This was the first game the Hawkeyes played all year against a ranked opponent, and the Boilermakers exposed them. Iowa remains one of the nation's most disappointing teams — but this was perhaps the worst the program has looked since the three-year stint of Todd Lickliter last decade.
POLL IMPLICATIONS: Purdue will likely by ranked third — its highest spot in the poll since being ranked No. 2 on March 7, 1988 — for the second straight week row unless top-ranked Villanova or No. 2 Virginia lose this weekend.
Purdue hosts Michigan on Thursday.
Iowa hosts Wisconsin on Tuesday.
- No. 3 Purdue breaks school 3-point record, routs Iowa 87-64
- HIGHLIGHTS: Purdue men's basketball breaks three-pointers record in rout of Fairfield
- Dakota Mathias to participate in national 3-point competition
- No. 20 Purdue routs SIUE in season opener
- Edwards helps No. 20 Purdue rout Chicago State 111-42
- Highlights: Mathias' finishing flurry helps No. 9 Purdue rout Gophers
- Suggested traffic routes, parking information for Purdue spring commencement
- 75-Year-Old Woman Breaking Power Lifting Records
- Donald Trump breaks another (bad) record
- Purdue sees record number of applications