LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI) - A new playground is now open in Lafayette. But it has a special twist.
The new play area at Clegg Botanical Gardens is made entirely from natural resources. It also allows children to get their hands dirty.
Various antlers and tusks are buried in the mulch to encourage discovery. Children can climb stones, cross a log bridge and jump over gaps.
NICHES Land Trust designed the park. It was designed with adventure in mind. "We're trying to create an opportunity for people to intimately get dirt under their fingernails and to have fun," said Gus Nyberg, Executive Director at NICHES.
NICHES wanted to create a new way for children to experience nature. "Education is really the experience. Rather than have us telling you what you're finding, it's about exploring and seeing the world through your own eyes," added Nyberg.
It officially opened at 10 a.m. Tuesday. The playground is open during NICHES regular hours.
- New nature based playground opens in Lafayette
- A very fickle Mother Nature
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Happy Hollow Park revamps playground equipment
- Event teaches children natural disaster safety
- Local organizations helping people become naturalized citizens
- Blind Pig Opens in Downtown Lafayette
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Why hasn't Needler's opened in Lafayette yet?
- New pickleball courts open in Lafayette