ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Thirty-one people working at the Allen County Jail are being evaluated at a hospital after a mysterious overdose incident.
It started when several confinement officers went to investigate the D-Block on suspicion of some inmates smoking.
All of them reported smelling smoke and feeling "strange."
A piece of paper was found in one of the cells and tested positive for opioids.
Nine officers and a nurse initially needed medical attention, however, 21 additional officers were later brought to the hospital for observation.
The D-Block is now closed for cleaning by a hazmat crew.
Investigators haven't yet identified the exact substance to which employees had been exposed.
- Accidental overdose of 31 people at Allen County Jail
- Fentanyl exposure at Allen County jail traced to inmate mail
- Group formed to decrease overdoses in Tippecanoe County
- 2 walk away from serious crash in Allen County
- HIGHLIGHTS: McCutcheon 58, Winamac 31 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Clinton Prairie 31, Seeger 23 (GBB)
- High school scoreboard for Jan. 31
- Tippecanoe County Jail getting new captain
- Drug dealer may be charged in drug overdose death
- Frankfort police treat overdoses as crime scenes to target dealers