TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A man involved in the robbery of two local businesses has been sentenced to 24 years.
In December, 22-year-old Jacob Walter Farris plead guilty to two charges of armed robbery.
Court documents show that on Sept. 20 at around 3:22 a.m., police responded to a robbery complaint at the Marathon Gas station on Ferry Street in Lafayette.
Police spoke with the clerk who described a man entering the store, displaying a handgun and demanding money.
After the clerk handed over all of the cash from the register, the man threatened to kill him if police were called. He then left the store.
Video surveillance obtained by police showed the man leaving the scene of the robbery in the passenger side of a van driven by another person.
At around 3:32 that same morning, police responded to a report of a robbery at the Friendly Market on Underwood Street.
The clerk explained that a man entered the store and then left. Moments later a second man wearing a handkerchief on his face entered and displayed a gun, demanding money and cigarettes. The clerk obliged, giving the man cash and cigarettes before he left.
Video surveillance from the store revealed a person, later identified as Whitus, being in the store before the robbery. The video then showed a masked subject entering Friendly Market and displaying a handgun after Whitus had left the store.
Police say that on Sept. 21, they located a van that looked like the one used in the two robberies, carrying a male and a female. When the van was stopped, the male exited the vehicle and fled the police. He was caught and identified as Zachary Whitus.
Whitus described to police having driven the van during both robberies.
On Sept. 28, Farris was located and taken into custody. He admitted to police that he had been the man that had taken the cash from both stores while Whitus drove the van in which the two had fled.
Farris was sentenced to 24 years. 16 years will be served in prison while eight will be served on probation.
- Man involved in double robbery sentenced to 24 years
- Kokomo man involved in armed robbery sentenced to 43 years
- Lafayette man sentenced for armed robbery
- Woman sentenced in Speedway robbery
- Man charged in the robbery of a Village Pantry sentenced to 10 years
- Second person sentenced in armed robbery
- Delphi one year after the double homicide
- Man charged in robbery case to serve 19 years
- Frankfort woman sentenced for involvement in fatal crash
- WL man charged with attempted murder sentenced to 30 years