Dense Fog Advisory Wx Alerts

Lafayette police continue standoff investigation

Police are still investigating what led to a standoff in a Lafayette home Thursday morning.

Posted: Dec. 21, 2017 3:43 PM
Updated: Dec. 22, 2017 7:34 AM

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Police are still investigating what led to a standoff in a Lafayette home Thursday morning.

Scroll for more content...

It ended peacefully, but the police presence rocked the surrounding neighborhood.

"It's a very quiet neighborhood," neighbor Bob Hicks said. "This kind of stuff is not supposed to happen in our neck of the woods."

Hicks said he noticed police lights outside his Edgelea neighborhood home Thursday morning.

"We assumed they got a speeder who ran the stop sign or something, and didn't think much about it until we looked in the parking lot," he explained.

After a closer look, Hicks said he knew something wasn't right.

"A SWAT unit was assembling there with the ambulances and all kinds of police vehicles and such," Hicks added.

Police said 29-year-old Nathan R. Wilbanks was held up inside a home on Crestview Court.

Wilbanks was wanted on warrants for drug possession and burglary and was also the subject of fugitive search in November. He had reportedly stolen a vehicle that was tracked to the location.

During the standoff, people living nearby were encouraged to evacuate.

"My grandparents could leave if they wanted to, but we couldn't get in so we figured it was safer for them just to stay there," said Kelly Mystic.

Nearby schools were also put on lock down until Wilbanks surrendered just before noon. He was arrested and the investigation is ongoing, but what happened is still on the minds of those who live in the area.

"It's a little nerve wracking when you see that and you know your grandparents and your niece are sitting in there," Mystic added.

According to police, two people in the home at the time were not injured.

Police said the two people know Wilbanks and want to stress this was not a random incident.

Article Comments