LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The owner of the Teppanyaki Grill in Lafayette is among seven people facing tax evasion charges. The restaurant was raided by the Marion County Prosecutor's office and State Police in August 2016.
Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said in a news conference that the charges arose from the owners' alleged failure to collect and remit tax payments to the state, underreporting more than $8 million in sales from seven Teppanyaki Grill & Supreme Buffet and similarly branded restaurants from 2014 to 2016. The prosecutor said the owners collectively owe nearly $675,000 in sales tax and food and beverage tax to the state.
Evidence uncovered in the course of the investigation allegedly demonstrated that the owners engaged in cash skimming to conceal and underreport cash sales.
In Tippecanoe County, Chunhua Wang faces charges including Corrupt Business Influence and theft.
The other people charged in the investigation, their connections to the business and their charges are:
-Shuai Li, owner of Teppanyaki Grill & Supreme Buffet, 9701 E. Washington St., Indianapolis: corrupt business Influence, two counts of theft and two counts of failure to remit taxes held in trust.
-Guo Wu Wu, owner of Teppanyaki Supreme Buffet, 285 E. Colliseum Blvd., Fort Wayne: corrupt business influence, two counts of theft and two counts failure to remit taxes held in trust.
-Jin Qui Zhao, owner of Teppanyaki Buffet, 1310 W. 38th St., Marion: corrupt business influence, two counts of theft and two counts of failure to remit taxes held in trust.
-Ji Rong Lin, owner of Hokkaido Japanese Buffet, 380 S. U.S. 41, Terre Haute: corrupt business influence, two counts of theft and two counts of failure to remit taxes held in trust.
-Guang Feng Li, owner of China King Feng, 2535 E. Main St., Suite 108, Plainfield, and Teppanyaki Grill Supreme Buffet, 9701 E. Washington St. Indianapolis: corrupt business influence, four counts of theft and four counts of failure to remit taxes held in trust.
-Sheng Yi Li, owner of Teppanyaki West, 5390 W. 38th St., Indianapolis: corrupt business influence, three counts of theft and three counts of failure to remit taxes held in trust.
- Lafayette buffet owner charged in sales tax investigation
- Lafayette man charged with pointing a firearm at bar-owner
- Lafayette bar owner giving out free rides
- Lafayette Aviators have a new owner
- Lafayette police continue standoff investigation
- Lafayette man charge with kidnapping
- Owners welcome public to check out new West Lafayette restaurant
- Lafayette Noon Optimist Club Christmas tree sale helps community kids
- West Lafayette shoppers share excitement about Sunday alcohol sales
- Lafayette police investigate shooting at Romney Meadows