LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- The art of a drawing and painting can tell a story the world may have never known.
A group of Lafayette artists, Greater Lafayette Figure Guild, are creating portraits for immigrants.
The models are community members willing to share their story. Before the session, models are given a questionnaire to help artists get to know their subject.
Artist Susan Doster says she knew this was the right time.
"So honestly as an artist it's a rare opportunity to be able to unit something I feel in a very strong way about in an activist sort of way with my work."
For one model, it's a way to share her experiences in America.
Queena Chang moved from China to go to college in California.
It was her first time coming to America.
Chang met her husband and started looking for work after she graduated.
Since then she has lived many places in the United States.
"Now we are here."
Her husband and children live in Lafayette while her parents are still in China. While she has citizenship here, she realizes it's still a problem for many people.
"We may get more attention for immigrants because the policy."Chang said.
Policies involving undocumented and documented immigrants made her want to share her story.
Doster says it helps tell the story behind the artwork.
"As Hoosiers, unless somebody has traveled the world, there's a lot of information for people to learn about that you might not even realize."
Chang hopes after looking at the art, people open their minds.
"We can give people more of an idea and to inspire others to do something and focus on immigrants to know what we are thinking and what they can do for the community and what they really want from the community."
Giving people of all backgrounds the chance to connect with their neighbors.
- Lafayette artists paint portraits to show diversity
- Artist creates portraits of teens killed in shooting
- Artist creates portraits of teens killed in school shooting
- African-American portrait artist: Can't ignore Obamas' choice of artists like us
- Obamas' official portraits unveiled
- New findings paint picture of Neanderthals as artists
- Salt Lake artist sheds light on mental health through paintings
- Obama's new portrait of loneliness
- H&M hires diversity manager
- Students discuss diversity differences