LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- Harrison College is ending enrollment at its campus in downtown Lafayette and is now offering online-only classes due to their low enrollment numbers.
According to Harrison Executive Vice president Michael Crowley, students currently enrolled will be able to continue working on their degree on campus and online until they graduate. Because online enrollment has increased in the past few years, the institution is planning on testing out their online classes for this upcoming quarter for incoming students.
"Most of the post-secondary education now occurs in community colleges or for-profit colleges like ours for proprietary schools...a lot of it is online," Crowley said.
College work-study employee Christoper Ewing said offering these courses online is where he believes the future of learning is headed.
"I think you should be open-minded, you're familiar with High School, so you are in classes all the time so you get comfortable, and college is supposed to be a more real-world experience," Ewing said.
Online classes will be priced around the same cost as the courses offered on campus and students will also be able to save money by purchasing online textbooks instead.
Students who enroll online will be a part of Harrison College as a whole, but not specifically at the Lafayette location. Enrollment for the courses are being offered now and classes will begin on Monday.
The future of this building is still undetermined and will be based on the success rate of the online programs.
- Lafayette Harrison College offers online-only classes for new students
- HIGHLIGHTS: West Lafayette 60, Harrison 53
- Police investigate Harrison student's social media threat
- LPD to offer women's self defense class
- Purdue considers offering classes during winter break
- LPD offers rape aggression defense class
- West Lafayette celebrates class of 2018
- Harrison tops Lafayette Jeff for sectional tennis title
- Harrison students to compete in international supercomputer cluster competition
- Highlights: Harrison vs. Brownsburg (Softball)