LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — This holiday season Lafayette Gold Star Mothers are coming together at the Tippecanoe Mall. They're spreading holiday cheer while raising money for future honor flights.
Each day the mall is packed with holiday shoppers. Gold Star Mothers have set up a table inside the mall near Auntie Anne's Pretzels.
They are there to help you wrap gifts for your loved ones.
"It feels fantastic," said Karen Bogan about getting her recently purchased gifts hand wrapped at the Tippecanoe Mall. This is one less thing Bogan has to worry about this holiday season.
"Not only one less thing, but it's harder and harder for me to wrap presents," said Bogan.
For her, having help from Lafayette Gold Star Mothers like Dana Vann comes in handy.
"It's a lot of fun to wrap the gifts too," Vann said. "It's even more exciting to be able to sponsor those veterans for our April flight in 2018."
This service is all free, but donations are being collected for the Greater Lafayette Honor Flight.
"Our best year we made $7,000," Vann said. "That sends 14 Vietnam, Korean or World War II veterans to Washington D.C. to see their memorial."
This year, Vann is hoping to beat that amount.
"Well you always want to do a little better every time you do something," Vann said. "We will see how it goes. Generally, people are very generous."
Vann and volunteers will be at the mall until Christmas Eve. They can make custom bows and have a variety of wrapping paper, and of course tape.
"It's very difficult for me to see where the tape lands," Bogan added. "It saves me a ton of time."
This is the first time Bogan is having her gifts wrapped by Lafayette Gold Star Mothers, but it won't be her last.
"In fact, I'll be back with more donations," said Bogan. "I'll have even more gifts later in the week."
- Lafayette Gold Star Mothers are wrapping gifts for honor flight donations
- Lafayette Honor Flight organization gives back
- The Greater Lafayette honor flight comes home
- Photo Gallery: Final Greater Lafayette Honor Flight
- Motorcyclists ride through Lafayette to raise awareness for Honor Flight
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flight takes off one final time
- The final landing of the Greater Lafayette Honor Flight
- Lafayette mother sentenced for abuse
- Local veterans return on their Honor Flight
- The Greater Lafayette Honor Flight will take off for the last time in 2018