LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette Urban Ministry is once again helping people prepare their taxes for free.
LUM's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers the service to households with an income of less than $54,000. Program Director Ben Murphy says people can get face to face service at no charge. Last year, LUM helped area households bring in about one-million dollars in tax returns.
Murphy said he loves helping people get back every penny they deserve.
"It's just a huge relief here when we see these families get the assistance that they need and be able to get all that back into the community," Murphy said.
Murphy said program volunteers are ready to help.
"A lot of the volunteers are tax veterans. They come in and they know the system very well and what they should be looking for tax breaks," Murphy said.
LUM is providing assistance until Tuesday, April 17th. The day taxes are due. To find out how to make an appointment click here.
- LUM offers free tax preparation
- Purdue Press offering free Alzheimer's course
- BlackRock will offer gun-free retirement funds
- Yale offers free 'happiness' class online
- LUM winter warming station opens to those in need
- LUM expecting to serve 900 meals for Thanksgiving
- Franciscan Health donates thousands of sheets to LUM
- 3 tax preparation tools to tame your taxes
- Equifax will offer free credit freezes for five more months
- Suburban gun range offering free training for teachers