WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A new face takes over as host of the CBS Evening News Monday night. Jeff Glor has been a longtime correspondent with the network.
He took over for Anthony Mason, who served as the interim host since Scott Pelley left the desk in June.
Ahead of his debut as host, News 18 sat down with Jeff Glor to talk about what he will bring to the newscast as well as his local connection to Indiana.
As you take over the CBS Evening News, what do you think is missing right now from evening newscasts? Is there any content you would like to add or see more of to attract a younger audience?
"I certainly think we want to make sure we are seen on whatever screen people want to watch the news and our writing and reporting," said Glor. "So whether that's a television or an iPhone or iPad, we are going to focus on doing the best reporting we can and telling the best stories we can. And I think it's important that people can find us in as many places as possible."
What stories have impacted your career the most?
"There's been so much," said Glor. "Internationally spending time in Iraq and Haiti. And in just the past two months, I've been at the scene of a natural disaster (a hurricane), a terror attack here in New York and a mass shooting in Texas. All of them affect you in different ways. We want to be on the scene as often as possible as this new iteration of the CBS Evening News begins."
I have to ask because we are here in Big Ten country and we are a college town. I know you're a Syracuse guy, but what is your favorite Big Ten School?
"Purdue University without question," said Glor. "I do follow Purdue closely because my father lives just outside Indianapolis. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention Notre Dame, but he's frequently texting me about Indiana and Illinois related games. Go Boilermakers!"
Catch Glor's debut as host of the CBS Evening News, Monday at 6:30 p.m. on WLFI.
- Jeff Glor takes over as host of The CBS Evening News Monday
- News 18 Immigration interview with CBS News' David Begnaud
- LPD to host drug take back event
- State Street traffic changes take effect Monday
- Lafayette Jeff gets 3-for-1 deal with new basketball coach
- Jeff Onken takes over as interim football coach at Central Catholic
- Marvelous Monday
- Purdue students react to Jeff Brohm speculation
- Legendary local sports reporter Jeff Washburn dies
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series