West Lafayette, Ind. (WLFI) - Nationwide, more than 660 billion vacation days go unused, including 13 million by Hoosiers.
That's equivalent to $1.1 billion of untouched economic benefit.
The U.S. Travel Association and Project: Time Off have designated January 30 as National Plan for Vacation Day.
It's good timing with spring and summer just around the corner. Now is the perfect time to plan.
The groups say more than 50% of Americans do not plan for vacation.
One travel expert at Purdue wants to change that.
Jonathon Day says taking time away from work is important for physical and mental health.
"Really important to take some time to refresh and renew and then come back into work, you're able to take a fresh look at the work that you're doing."
Researchers at Purdue's Tourism and Hospitality Research Center have developed a list of strategies to planning the perfect vacation.
You can find those here.
- Jan. 30 is national plan for vacation day
- Hawaiian vacation planned, but worried about air quality? Go
- Best adventure vacations for 2018
- Many Volkswagen workers will get 45 vacation days
- SCORES/HIGHLIGHTS: Girls HS Basketball Sectionals (Jan. 30)
- Why vacations matter for your health
- 'Jersey Shore Family Vacation' first look trailer
- The best vacation rentals with ocean views
- Special election set for Rep. Conyers' vacated seat
- Would you spend $20K a year on beach vacations?