BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) — More than 50 reports alleging sexual misconduct by Indiana University employees across all campuses were filed from July 2016 to June 2017.
The Bloomington Herald-Times received the data from the university through a public records request that was submitted in February. The request sought data for a limited time period and doesn't provide context regarding reporting trends overtime or comparisons to other universities.
The majority of sexual misconduct reports against employees were filed from the university's two largest campuses. The Bloomington campus had 17 reports and the Indiana University-Purdue University campus in Indianapolis had 21. Most reports were classified as sexual harassment or gender discrimination.
There were also two reports categorized as sexual assault or contact, one report of stalking, one of exploitation, one of retaliation and one of dating or domestic violence.
Most IU campuses had more reports alleging misconduct by students than employees. The Bloomington campus has more than 160 reports regarding student sexual misconduct, compared with less than 20 filed against employees during the same time period. IU Kokomo is the only exception, with five reports filed about employees and two about students.
The university's Office of Student Welfare and Title IX releases numbers annually on sexual misconduct reports by university students, but those figures don't include reports about university employees.
"At some point that may be something we do, but we can also provide it through these other means," Emily Springston, IU's chief student welfare and Title IX officer.
She also said university leaders have yet to ask for reports against employees to be included in the office's student welfare report.
- IU had 56 reports alleging employee sexual misconduct
- LPD officer faces misconduct allegation
- IU student diagnosed with measles
- LPD officer resigns ahead of hearing for alleged misconduct
- Fired Lafayette elementary teacher faces additional charges of sexual misconduct
- Purdue faces IU in Red Kettle Challenge
- Purdue, IU to play twice next season
- Rivalry resumes between Purdue and IU
- Purdue softball drops doubleheader with IU
- Lafayette man charged after alleged sexual relationship with a minor