INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WLFI) - Hundreds gathered Thursday for a viewing for the Boone County deputy killed in the line of duty. People from all over the state came to say a final farewell to Deputy Jacob Pickett.
"He was an amazing man, a great father, husband and officer," said dispatcher Lydia Edwards.
Deputy Jacob Pickett with the Boone County Sheriff's Office was shot and killed in the line of duty last Friday while assisting the Lebanon Police Department.
"I was the lead dispatcher on the pursuit," said Edwards.
Edwards said Pickett's death has left a hole in their community.
"We lost one of our boys and that's a hard pill to swallow," said Edwards.
Edwards and hundreds of people came to pay their respects at Crown Hill Funeral Home and Cemetery during Pickett's visitation Thursday.
"It's a blur. One of the things we've been taught over the years is when it gets bad is to go into what I call automatic mode," said Communications Administrator Art Naekel.
Pickett leaves behind his wife and children. He also leaves behind his K-9 partner, Brik.
"They were inseparable," said Deputy Ken Conley. "They were a great pair. They could go anywhere together. They knew what each other's reactions were going to be."
"Last Friday when we brought [Brik] down to the hospital to see Jake, he knew right then," said Deputy Rob Watson. "You could just tell he was lost. He was looking for dad."
Pickett will be remembered as a loving father and husband. He'll be known for loving his job. Those close to him said they'll never forget his positive, upbeat outlook on life.
"If you were having a bad day, he would change it," said Conley. "If he was having a bad day, it didn't matter."
Deptuy Jacob Pickett's funeral will be Friday starting at 11 a.m. It will be at Connection Point Church in Brownsburg.
- Hundreds pay their respects to Deputy Jacob Pickett at visitation
- Widow of Deputy Jacob Pickett pens open letter to community
- Two more men charged with murder in Deputy Jacob Pickett's death
- Lafayette Police send patch to remember deputy Pickett
- Boone Co. prosecutor seeks death penalty against man charged with killing Deputy Pickett
- Hundreds of officers expected for Indiana deputy's funeral
- Santa Claus visits Mayflower Mill Elementary
- Secretary of State candidate visits Lafayette
- Indiana district sues hundreds of families for unpaid bills
- Hundreds cheer Indiana Guard troops heading to Kuwait