LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A former Lafayette Jeff Assistant Boys Volleyball coach has been sentenced for child seduction.
In April, Carlee Barmby, 22, had sex with a student and sent a nude photo. She pleaded guilty in December.
At Monday's hearing, Barmby apologized in court.
"I didn't mean to intentionally hurt anyone," said Barmby during the sentencing. "I wish that I had done better and I know I can do better and will do better."
Barmby testified as being a straight-A student. She said she volunteered and had dreams of teaching kids with special needs. Her family was at her sentencing in support.
Barmby said she doesn't remember exactly what happened when the student came over to her apartment because she was under the influence of alcohol.
However, text messages and a nude photo was used as evidence in this case.
Barmby testified to knowing the victim for at least two years prior to the incident.
Superior Judge Randy Williams said he wished he could hear from the victim at the sentencing. Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Patrick Harrington said the victim and the victim's mom could not be in court but asked the judge not to allow Barmby to coach as part of her punishment.
Williams said, "It is my hope that everyone in this courtroom does not see you as innocent."
He said he saw two different sides to Barmby, one emotional, the other defiant.
Williams sentenced Barmby to one year with six months executed in the Tippecanoe County Jail and six months probation.
Barmby's charge of child seduction carries a possible six months to 2.5 years, with an advisory sentence of one year.
Barmby must register as a Sex Offender for ten years and abide by the Sex Offender Probationary Rules.
Barmby is a resident of Elk Grove, California.
- Former Jeff assistant coach sentenced for child seduction
- No prison time for Crawfordsville teacher charged with child seduction
- Attica High School assistant track coach facing child pornography charges
- Scott Radeker steps down as Lafayette Jeff basketball coach
- Lafayette Jeff gets 3-for-1 deal with new basketball coach
- Danny Anthrop takes assistant coaching job at Central Catholic
- West Lafayette chiropractor sentenced for child solicitation
- Jeff Onken takes over as interim football coach at Central Catholic
- Repeat offender sentenced to 28 years for child molesting
- Attica man sentenced to 32 years for child molestation