INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Officials say a visitor at an Indiana county fair caught the flu from an animal, probably a pig.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say it's the first human case of the H3N2 flu in Indiana since 2013 and the first in the U.S. this year. The victim is recovering. No other details were released.
State health officials say humans can get the flu if they're too close to an infected pig. It can't be transmitted by eating pork.
Summer fair visitors are advised to wash their hands and avoid eating or drinking while in pig barns. Exhibitors are urged to look for signs of sick animals.
- Flu likely passed to fair visitor from pig, officials say
- Blind Pig Opens in Downtown Lafayette
- Cumberland Elementary class gets a surprise visitor
- Visitor restrictions to be placed on Franciscan Health facilities
- Community gathers for resistance fair
- Prophetstown horse passes away
- Indiana flu deaths reach 107 for state's current flu season
- Local K-9 officer passes away
- House passes bill toughening abortion rules
- Radio legend Bob Vizza passes away