LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A Lafayette school teacher accused of sex crimes against children is out of jail.
According to staff at the Tippecanoe County Jail, 46-year-old Joe Kimerer posted bail and was released around 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
As News 18 reported Friday, LPD arrested Kimerer around 10 a.m. Friday morning at his home. He faces 13 felony charges including vicarious sexual gratification (Level 4 Felony), child exploitation with intent to satisfy sex desires (Level 5 Felony), child solicitation (Level 5 Felony) and inappropriate communication with a child.
The Lafayette Police Department Detective Division, along with Lafayette Police School Resource Officers, Tippecanoe County
Prosecutors Office High Tech Crimes Unit, and Lafayette School Corporation officials initiated a child abuse investigation involving an
Amelia Earhart school teacher on Feb. 27. The complaint centered on reports of suspicious activity involving child exploitation and child solicitation. The investigation found multiple male victims ranging in ages 12 – 13 years old with many of the alleged incidents occurred inside the school, during school hours.
Kimerer was being held on a $500,000 surety and $50,000 cash bond. Jail staff explained to News 18 that whoever bonded Kimerer out paid $100,000 to do so. That's 10 percent of the surety plus the $50,000 cash bond.
The investigation is on-going and police ask anyone with further information or further victims related to this incident contact the Lafayette Police Department Detective Division at (765) 807-1250.
- Earhart teacher arrested for alleged child exploitation
- Earhart teacher arrested for alleged child exploitation out on bond
- Teacher accused of child exploitation officially fired
- An Earhart parent reacts to teacher's arrest
- Fired Earhart teacher faces two more charges
- LPD arrests Lafayette man after child exploitation investigation
- Prosecutors request to get accused Earhart teacher back in jail
- Arrested Amelia Earhart teacher still in the process of being terminated
- Amelia Earhart Elementary staff member under investigation
- Earhart Elementary backpack program in need of donations