CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - Wednesday marked one year since Abby Williams and Libby German were found dead near the Monon High Bridge. The anniversary was difficult for many students and staff at Delphi Community Middle School.
"All of the kids have just kind of been anxious about what today was going to be like for them," said school counselor Angela Bieghler
It's tough to think back.
"At this time last year, we still didn't know where girls were," said Bieghler.
"We were just so worried that we didn't know where they were," said Sarah Tislow, Delphi Community Middle School principal. "Then when they were found, those feelings obviously just turned to unimaginable sadness."
Students lost two classmates and a sense of security that day.
"Students have come to us worrying that somebody might come and get them," said Tislow.
"We have the security system on the doors, they have to buzz in," said Bieghler. "We don't leave any doors open."
Moving on hasn't been easy.
"They were just such bright souls. They're smiles were just infectious," said Tislow.
Now, many are making sure Abby and Libby will never be forgotten.
To remember the girls, students helped make a banner Wednesday. On it is tree with the quote the "Strongest trees have the deepest roots."
"That was kind of our mantra last year," said Tislow. "We have green inkpads and students can take their thumbprint and put it on the tree and add it as leaves."
On the banner is also an A and an L for Abby and Libby.
Students could also write a private message to the girls on slips of purple and teal paper.
"We're folding them into hearts and we're going to make hangings with those," said Tislow.
Bieghler said they wanted to have these activities to remember to Abby and Libby. That way it's not just about remembering the girls on the anniversary of their death, it's about remembering who they were all year round.
- Delphi Community Middle School remembers Abby and Libby one year later
- WATCH: Justice for Abby and Libby
- Justice for Abby and Libby special report: Revisiting the bridge
- Justice for Abby and Libby: Special report preview
- Work continues on memorial park for Abby and Libby
- PREVIEW: Justice for Abby and Libby special report: Revisiting the bridge
- PREVIEW: Justice for Abby and Libby special report: One on One with Sheriff Tobe Leazenby
- Justice for Abby and Libby: Sitting down with Sheriff Tobe Leazenby
- Delphi Community School Corporation completes solar energy project
- Candlelight vigil brings the Delphi community close