INDIANAPOLIS Ind. (WISH) – Massive flames could be seen for at least a mile as the building on the corner of Massachusetts Ave and College Avenue caught fire Friday morning.
Indianapolis Fire Department said it started around 7:30 a.m. at the 757 Mass Ave Condos, also known as the Belloiuney building. The restaurant and Sushi bar 45 Degrees is on the ground floor and was not affected.
When IFD arrived on scene residents were still inside. IFD said 21 of the building’s 23 units are occupied. 24-Hour News 8 talked to one resident who said a firefighter waved her outside when she saw him on the street. Everyone was evacuated and no one was hurt.
The fire was contained to the roof where there’s a community deck, that deck is what fire officials say caught fire. The interior of the building was not damaged by fire, but did incur significant water damage. They also say there could be upwards of $500,000 worth of damage. The building is in the middle of a restoration.
The utilities have been turned off and residents are being told is will be one to three days before they will be able to return home. Victims assistance is helping anyone who may not have a place to go. The Red Cross was on scene helping as well.
- Crews respond to fire on Mass. Ave
- First responders host mass casualty training
- Crews battling house fire in Tippecanoe County
- Construction on Stadium Ave. campus continue to progress
- Crews extinguish fire at Fontana Fasteners in Frankfort
- Fire crews investigate an apparent home explosion in Attica
- President Trump to address nation on deadly mass shooting
- ISP responds to NAACP allegation about Flora fire investigation
- Fire crews in Indiana seeing an uptick in tragic home fires
- Three fire crews battled a house fire in northern Tippecanoe County