BENTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - Christine Sheetz has been a lifelong Benton County resident. She spends her time volunteering, helping those in need and working at a co-op she helped launch. All of this helped her get nominated for the YWCA's Salute to Women Banquet.
Christine Sheetz has spent most of her life helping those in need.
"I've kind of always been known as a caregiver. When people describe me that's how they describe me," said Sheetz.
Sheetz always knew there was a need in her Benton County community.
"Well it all started 15 years ago when I started working for the community action program," said Sheetz. "I work with several hundred clients a year and working through community action -- that's allowed me to see what needs there are in Benton County.
She also manages the local Salvation Army and organizes the annual Red Kettle Campaign and the children's coat drive. All of this and she still knew she wanted to do more.
That's when she helped launch the Community Food and Service Co-op in the fall of 2016. The co-op provides food and household supplies to struggling families. In just 14 months, the co-op has grown to more than 200 members.
"I thought we would be lucky if we had 20 in the first year," said Sheetz. "It's just amazing that we have 250 members, very active members."
Hard work and helping people out is just the way Sheetz was raised.
"I grew up in a large farm family, nine children. So I learned hard work ethic early on early on through my parents and watching my siblings," said Sheetz.
Hard work, motivation and caregiving is what makes Christine Sheetz a YWCA Woman of Distinction.
"I hope to be able to help people all of my life. Through my faith, that's what I believe I am meant to do," said Sheetz.
The 2018 Salute to Women ceremony will be held March 6 at the Trails Banquet Facility in West Lafayette.
- Christine Sheetz honored as 2018 Woman of Distinction
- LTHC executive director honored as 2018 Woman of Distinction
- YWCA announces women of distinction
- Thometra Foster recognized by YWCA as woman of distinction
- Veronica Jalomo recognized by YWCA as woman of distinction
- Tetia Lee recognized as Woman of Distinction by YWCA
- 5 teachers honored at the 2018 Golden Apple Awards
- Honoring Kristi Redmon's 'colorful' legacy
- Carolyn Jones named a YWCA Woman of Wisdom for 2018
- The Greater Lafayette Honor Flight will take off for the last time in 2018