TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A man believed to have been involved in a store burglary and the theft of several guns was charged on Monday.
According to court documents, in September, police investigated a break-in that occurred at Cash Loans LLC on Sagamore Parkway. The owner, Thomas McDonald, said that an entry door to the business had been smashed and ten handguns had been stolen from the glass display cases in which they were kept.
Video surveillance obtained from the store showed a man breaking the glass door to Cash Loans at around 1:40 on the morning of Sept. 20 and leaving the business with the handguns.
A few days later on Sept. 25, police spoke with Richard Zollars after catching up with him at Four Guns on Earl Avenue in Lafayette. He admitted to having burglarized and stolen the property from Cash Loans and also named 28-year-old Ricky Beaver as an accomplice in the crime. Police were able to retrieve several of the stolen guns which were being stored in his vehicle parked in the lot outside Four Guns.
Zollars stated that Beaver did not actually enter the business during the burglary, but did act as his lookout.
While Beaver admitted to being with Zollars at the time of the burglary, he denied taking any part as a lookout. He also admitted to splitting up the loot with Zollars and trading his portion of the guns for drugs.
Police later received information from the Chicago Police Department that one of the stolen handguns had been recovered in Cook County, Illinois.
Beaver has been charged with conspiracy to commit burglary, burglary, two counts of carrying a handgun without a license, and theft of a firearm.
- Charges filed against man suspected of gun theft
- Charges filed against drug suspects
- Drug charges filed against Rensselaer man
- Multiple drug charges filed against man on house arrest
- Charges filed against man in Meadowbrook Drive shooting case
- Charges filed against Lafayette man in sexual assault case
- Intimidation charges filed against man for allegedly threatening police
- Lafayette man admits to armed robbery, charges filed
- 2 charged with burglary and theft
- 2 charged in multiple Lafayette thefts