CLARKS HILL, Ind. (WFLI) — Veterinarian Kimberly McDole is currently fighting for her life in a hospital after she was struck in a hit and run crash on August 1. Her her recovery means a lot to more than just people.
"Awe, it's Kim's spirit animal," said Carly Steelsmith, as a cat walked in her direction.
One, two, three animals showed up unexpectedly as News 18 discussed an upcoming benefit for Kimberly McDole with Steelsmith and her friend Amanda Stevens.
"Of course there's a cat coming over here," said Steelsmith.
It was exactly what she and Stevens would expect from is Kim were trying to send some sort of a message from beyond.
"She saved my one dog, Scout and I couldn't thank her enough for that," said Stevens.
"Just think about all the animals that are without their doctor right now, she was there for a lot of animals," added Steelsmith.
But now it's time to be there for her. McDole was critically injured in a hit-and-run crash on August 1.
"She's still in critical condition, she just still needs a lot of prayers," said Stevens.
Yariel Butler, 19, is charged for leaving the scene of a crash that left McDole on life support, another person dead and a tow truck driver injured. Since then, Butler has bonded out of jail twice.
"That money could have been put towards her family or the other man's family for funeral expenses," said Stevens.
But Stevens and Steelsmith are doing what they can to help. They're planning a benefit to pay for McDole's medical bills and other expenses.
"She's put her son through college the last three years so we want to make sure that his last year in school is fully paid for, he has nothing to worry about, he doesn't have to get a job," said Stevens.
McDole's Veterinary business meant everything to her and so did the people in her life.
"Any time of the day, any time of the night, if you needed something, she was always there," said Stevens.
- Benefit planned for hit-and-run crash victim
- Remembering victims of a fatal hit-and-run crash
- Benefit raffle held in honor of hit-and-run victim Kimberly McDole
- Hit-and-run suspect's charge amended after second victim dies
- Second victim in Aug. 1 hit-and-run dies
- Hoosier Heartland crash victim dies
- One dead, two critical in hit-and-run crash; police looking for vehicle
- Officials release name of fatal crash victim
- Officials release names and details from fatal hit-and-run
- Fatal hit-and-run suspect released from jail