LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A 13-year-old girl walking home from school said a group of people attempted to abduct her at gunpoint.
Around 5 p.m. Tuesday, the girl told police she was walking north on South 14th Street. That's when she said a black "older model" four-door truck pulled up with the windows rolled down. Police said one of the people in the car pulled out a semi-automatic handgun and told the girl to get in the car.
The girl said she thought the people were kidding and she ignored them. That's when the girl said the man racked the gun and said, "get in the car or we will kill you." Sgt. Matt Gard said the girl then ran away as the vehicle followed her. She said she was able to hide until they drove off.
After speaking with the girl, police said they believe the statement to be truthful. Sgt. Gard said it was a residential area and there were no cameras.
"We teach kids that it's okay to be rude to a stranger," said Gard. "You don't owe that stranger anything. So if a stranger comes up to them, go the other way. Go find an adult, tell the adult they know and trust 'hey this person was trying to talk to me.'"
Police are now looking for the four people in the truck. The following are the descriptions the girl told police:
Driver: Hispanic man in a brown shirt
Front seat passenger: Black man, bald, "goteeish beard"
Back seat left passenger: White female with visible tattoos
Back seat right passenger: Hispanic male with a "soul patch." Police said this is the person who pulled the gun on the girl.
If you have any information, you are asked to contact Lafayette police at (765) 807-1200 or the anonymous WeTip Hotline at (800) 78-CRIME.
- Attempted abduction at gunpoint reported by girl walking home from school
- Lafayette police say attempted teen abduction was false
- Four suspects on the loose involved in a reported attempted abduction
- Report of woman forced into car at gunpoint unfounded, police say
- Taxi driver held at gunpoint while dropping off passenger
- WATCH: Attempted home entry video in West Lafayette
- Water main break reported at Veterans Home
- Work release and probation: Man sentenced for abducting his wife and causing a multi-hour standoff
- LPD investigating attempted armed robbery