WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Boilermakers are headed to the Foster Farms Bowl to take on the Arizona Wildcats on Wednesday, Dec. 27. The game will be kick off at 8:30 p.m. ET at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California, with a live television broadcast on Fox.
In head coach Jeff Brohm's first year, Purdue (6-6, 4-5 B1G) is headed to its first bowl game since 2012. Brohm led the Boilermakers to the largest win improvement percentage among Power Five teams led by first-year head coaches. The turnaround was largely due to the improved defense that led the nation in scoring defense improvement, allowing 19.0 fewer points per game than a year ago. The offense also saw a significant uptick, as the Boilermakers were the nation's seventh most-improved red-zone scoring team, eighth most improved rushing team and had the nation's 11th-best overall touchdown-to-interception ratio among programs that attempted at least 425 passes.
Purdue's opponent, the Arizona Wildcats (7-5, 5-4 Pac-12), enter with the nation's third-best rushing offense and sixth-best scoring offense. The Wildcats are led by quarterback Khalil Tate, who has thrown for 1,289 yards and nine touchdowns, while also rushing for 1,353 yards and 12 scores.
Purdue and Arizona meet for the third time on the gridiron, with the Boilermakers leading the series 2-0. The teams played a home-and-home in 2003 and 2005, with the Boilermakers winning 59-7 in Tucson, before beating the Wildcats 31-24 in West Lafayette two years later.
The Boilermakers enter their 18th bowl in program history boasting a 9-8 record. Brohm leads a team to a bowl game for the fourth time in as many years as a head coach. His teams are 3-0 in the previous three postseason games.
- Arizona next for Purdue in Foster Farms Bowl
- PURDUE POSTGAME SHOW: Foster Farms Bowl
- Purdue football to play in Foster Farms Bowl
- Purdue fans invade San Francisco ahead of Foster Farms Bowl
- New webpage dedicated to Foster Farms Bowl coverage
- LIVE COVERAGE: "Keys to the game" for Purdue in Foster Farms Bowl
- Purdue caps Brohm's 1st year with 38-35 bowl win vs. Arizona
- Purdue fans ready for 2017 bowl game
- Purdue QB Elijah Sindelar breaks down Arizona preparation
- Former US senator Richard Lugar visits Purdue Forestry Farm