Photo Gallery 1 Images
GALVESTON, Ind. (WLFI) — A Cass County town is without a police force for the third time in less than two years. This comes after the resignation of the Galveston town marshal last week.
"I'm concerned about this town because my family lives here," said Galveston resident Paul Hipsher. "It's not safe without police protection."
Galveston is without a police force, again. Town Marshal Gary Fordyce resigned, effective Friday.
It comes after less than a year in the position.
"He's been the best police officer we've had in years," said Galveston Town Council Vice President Butch Alcorn.
Fordyce replaced former Marshal Shawn Durham who was fired, rehired and let go again.
Now a Cass County Sheriff's Deputy is temporarily serving in the position part-time. The town will have to depend on State Police and the sheriff's office for help.
Paul Hipsher said he worries the drive from the sheriff's office in Logansport to Galveston is too long when it comes to emergencies.
"You can do a lot of damage in 20 minutes," said Hipsher.
Hipsher said Fordyce made about 17 drug-related arrests while Marshal. Now, he's worried about the potential increase in crime until someone is hired.
Town Council Vice President Butch Alcorn couldn't say when that would be.
"It's a wait and see," said Alcorn. "You don't know what to expect."
Town council member Zach Zimmerman told News 18, Fordyce's resignation paperwork listed "other employment" as his reason for leaving.
- A town without a police force: Galveston town marshal resigns
- Former Colfax deputy town marshal sentenced to 50 years
- Former Bunker Hill town marshal arrested on criminal charges
- Town hall meeting looks at future WL rec center
- Micro-brewery brings new gathering place to town
- Dayton Town Council approves controversial rezoning for new subdivision
- Ninth annual Gown Town gives girls free dresses for prom
- Purdue baseball looks for timely hitting, Minnesota in town for weekend series
- Flora fire chief resigns
- Fire marshal warns of space heaters, other fire dangers