LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- Starting July 1, seven bridges in Indianapolis are being shut down. This could add some time to daily commutes for drivers in Tippecanoe County.
Colleen Taylor said she's been preparing since she found out four months ago.
As someone who's driven this route for 11 years, the alternate routes the Indiana Department of Transportation gave, looked pretty familiar.
"It's exactly where I normally go, because I travel on the west side, on 465 once I get off 65," said Taylor "So all of that traffic that normally funnels downtown is going to be added to that part of the interstate where I travel."
According to INDOT's website, Southbound Interstate 65 between the I-65/I-465 interchange on the northwest side of Indianapolis will be closed. During the closure, I-65 southbound traffic on the northwest side will be detoured on I-465 South or I-865 East.
The project will also close both directions of I-65 between Meridian St. (exit 113) and 21st St. (exit 115) in downtown Indianapolis.
The entrance and exit ramps at the Dr. Martin Luther King St.//West St. interchange (exit 114) will also be closed.
The entrance ramp from 21st St. to northbound I-65 will stay open.
"Oh my goodness, here we go again."
Heidi Edinger drives a truck down I-65 and said the 5-week project won't only add time but some stress to her commute.
"I'm going to take a deep breath, and just try to get there safely," said Edinger. "That's what is going to be key, patience is definitely going to be a virtue."
INDOT said the project should be done by August 5th.
- Commuters plan ahead for I-65 bridge reconstruction
- Drivers raise concerns over lack of signs on US 24 bridge reconstruction
- City of Lafayette planning for growing group of commuters
- Man arrested after I-65 crash
- Additional lane coming to I-65
- Crash slows holiday traffic on I-65
- ISP says 2 dead in I-65 crash
- Southbound I-65 closed due to overturn semi
- Two I-65 ramps will close this weekend
- I-65 lanes open after years of construction