LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- Two men are in jail after shots were fired last night in a Lafayette neighborhood.
Officers were called to a home on North 7th Street last night where police said the shots were fired around 11 P.M.
The family involved in this shooting says they know this neighborhood isn't the safest.
But the mother News 18 spoke to said she never expected bullets to be shot at her own home.
"Mommy there's glass."
"There's glass here buddy I don't want you here."
Amber Smith said she's thankful more than ever to have her children still by her side, unharmed.
"Honestly, my first thought was I am just thankful," Smith said. "After I saw the bullet hole, I had decided to stay downstairs for about ten more minutes with the baby before because I was getting ready to head upstairs."
Smith said she's witnessed a lot of crime in her Lafayette neighborhood but never imagined a bullet would strike through her attic window.
Thursday night, Lafayette police responded to a call near 7th and Hartford Streets. Shots were fired right at Smith's home. Shortly after, police arrested 20-year-old Lawrence Bennett and 20-year-old Malik Adams.
Neighbor Casey Diaz said hearing gunshots sadly has become the new norm for this neighborhood.
But he said packing up and leaving just isn't an option
"I'm not going to let it shake me," Diez said. "This is my neighborhood I know if I don't stay here nothing's going to get done about it."
Like Diez, Smith said leaving her home isn't something she wants to do, but she said it's times like these when she's reminded that someone up above is watching.
"You tell her who protected us, you know who protected us," said Smith.
LPD said this investigation is still ongoing, and asks anyone with information regarding this incident to contact the We-tip hotline.
- Neighbors share concerns over Thursday nights shots fired
- Neighbor who chased stabbing suspect shares story
- Woman shares concerns about Carroll County Jail
- Arrest made in Thursday morning shots fired at Champs Bar
- Man shot near Columbian Park Monday night
- Church holds 'Longest Night Service' Thursday
- Concert will proceed Thursday night without Nelly
- Sagamore Parkway overnight closures happening Thursday night
- Isolated Severe Weather Threat Thursday Evening-Night
- FCC and Captioning Concerns