ATTICA, Ind. (WLFI) - A historic building in Attica is being demolished after it was deemed a safety hazard for neighbors.
The building is located on Perry Street and used to be apartments with retail space on the first floor. However, lately it's become a safety concern.
"We really started looking at tearing it down when bricks started to fall off of it," said Mayor Duane Roderick.
To keep neighbors safe, the city is now tearing down the building.
"We've been looking to get it torn down for a while. The present owner, ya know, we've sent them notices and they haven't taken care of it," said Roderick.
He said the city planned to demolish it after it was condemned three years ago, but plans fell through.
"We originally went through the process and took bids and the company that originally bid decided they couldn't do it with the price they bid it, so then we went back to the drawing board," said Roderick.
The building has been fenced off to protect neighbors from the falling bricks.
The demolition is expected to be complete by July 24. Roderick said they're thinking about putting in a pocket park in place of it.
The building on Perry Street isn't the only concern in the downtown area. The Attica Hotel is also starting to become a safety hazard.
"Our hope is that somebody would take it over to restore it," said Roderick. "I know that the city would really like to work with somebody towards that."
Roderick said he's hoping the city can restore it because of its history. However, the renovation would be costly.
"I've heard that Al Capone ate there, I've heard that Betty Davis ate there, I've heard that Bing Crosby ate there," said Roderick.
Roderick said the Attica hotel is part of the city's TIF district. He's hoping they can take some of the district money and put it into the hotel.
- Attica demolishes historic building after safety concerns
- HIGHLIGHTS: West Lafayette 75, Attica 37 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 48, Attica 37 (GBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 79, Attica 48 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Attica vs. Rockville (WRC Championship - GBB)
- Historic downtown building to make way for new "East Village"
- Agreement reached to keep animal shelter in Attica
- Attica man sentenced to 32 years for child molestation
- Florida bridge collapse raises safety concerns in Lafayette
- FCC and Captioning Concerns