INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Former Indiana first lady Susan Bayh has had surgery to remove a malignant brain tumor.
Bayh is the wife of former Democratic Senator and Indiana Gov. Evan Bayh.
The family said the malignant glioblastoma was removed Tuesday. That's the same deadly cancer former Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy battled and GOP Sen. John McCain is currently fighting.
The family asked for prayers and said Susan Bayh will begin chemotherapy and radiation treatment after recovering from the surgery.
A family spokesman says she will fight the disease with courage, grace and optimism.
Susan Bayh previously underwent brain surgery in 2015 to remove a benign tumor.
Evan Bayh served two terms as governor and two terms as Indiana's senator until leaving office in 2011.
- Former Indiana first lady has surgery to remove brain tumor
- Cleanup removes coal-combustion waste from Indiana pond
- Florescent dye to help reduce cancer surgeries
- ACLU of Indiana sues county over 'not my mayor' sign removal
- Purdue's new C-BRIC center to develop brain-inspired computing
- ChiSox ace prospect Kopech likely needs Tommy John surgery
- Former first lady Barbara Bush dies at age 92
- Neighbors urge city to enforce snow removal ordinance
- Indians removing Chief Wahoo logo from game uniforms in 2019
- McDonald's removing salads from 3,000 stores after illness