LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A local team is raising funds this year for Habitat for Humanity. The Lafayette Roller Derby team opened it's season at the Tippecanoe County Fairgrounds Saturday.
Ten percent of the teams ticket sales are donated to a local organization each year. Amanda Mayes is on the Lafayette Roller Derby roster. She said giving back to Greater Lafayette is important to her and the team.
"It's really important to us to give back to the community we're heavily supported by community members," said Mayes. "We have vendors here who help support us and a lot of businesses in town support us too so we really want to make sure we're giving back and showing our thanks for that."
Mayes said the goal was to raise around $600 during the event.
- Lafayette Roller Derby Team raises funds for a cause
- Bobcat Bolt raises funds for students
- Annual Battle of the Saints raises funds for Lafayette Catholic Schools
- The Highs and Lows of Our Temperature Roller Coaster
- Walk of Hope raises funds for those in need
- Florida bridge collapse raises safety concerns in Lafayette
- Motorcyclists ride through Lafayette to raise awareness for Honor Flight
- Purdue and West Lafayette Fire Departments officially team up
- Cub Scouts compete in Pinewood derby car race
- 'Justify' justifies odds, breaks curse in sloppy Kentucky Derby