WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Students from West Lafayette Junior-Senior High School will take part in a national planned walkout Friday in another push for gun control.
The walkouts coincide with the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School massacre.
West Lafayette administrators sent a letter home to parents last week telling them staff and West Lafayette police will be supervising the walkout. The school was on spring break during another nationwide walkout on the one month anniversary last month.
The letter reads:
Dear Parent/Guardian of a West Lafayette Jr/Sr High School student:
Shortly after the tragic events at Parkland High School on February 14, 2018, a committee of West Side students began researching a way to show their support. Working with administration, these students have developed a meaningful event that will show support for the victims and be a learning experience.
On April 20, 2018, in conjunction with a national event, students are planning to participate in a walkout to remember those who have lost their lives to acts of school violence. This student-planned and carried out event, on the adjacent Leslie Field, will last no longer than one class period. Administration, staff, and the West Lafayette Police Department will provide supervision to ensure the safety of the
students. We will utilize the Implied Consent rule for this event. If you do not wish to have your student participate in the walkout, you must let the school know in writing (email is sufficient) by noon on Thursday, April 19. You only need to notify the school if you do not wish to have your student participate. Students who do not wish to participate will remain in the building and will be under the
supervision of staff. As always, thank you for the trust placed in your school. We expect to provide a safe school environment where all students have the opportunity to do great things in life.
News 18 plans to be at the walkout and will have more on it on News 18 at Noon.
- West Lafayette students to participate in nationwide walkout Friday
- Middle school students participate in walkout
- Students in Tucson and nationwide plan to walkout to support Second Amendment
- Nationwide Planned Parenthood protest makes stop in Lafayette
- Arizona teacher walkout: Students head back to class after walkout
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Planned power outage for West Lafayette on Friday
- Shortage of Christmas trees nationwide
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Students stage walkouts to protest gun violence