WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Katira Redmon is used to checking her fridge for expired items but she didn't think she would have to check the milk she bought for her two year old on Friday at the McDonald's on Sagamore Parkway.
"He took a sip of it and then sat it back down but didn't really have a reaction," said Redmon. "So, I didn't think much of it, I just thought he didn't like it and he ran off and started playing."
Since her son wasn't interested, she decided to drink it.
"I took a big gulp and it was, it tasted like chemicals," said Redmon.
She knew it had to be expired.
"I grabbed the lid and looked at it thinking maybe it was a week old or something and then I saw that it expired on March 17th 2017," said Redmon.
Redmon claims McDonald's gave her milk that was nearly a year and one month old.
"At first I was just furious because my son had just drank it," said Redmon.
Then she remembered she swallowed some too. Redmon is 22 weeks pregnant.
"Luckily, we didn't get sick," said Redmon. "I was kind of waiting but both of us are fine."
She took the milk back to McDonald's with hopes of a proper apology.
"She [McDonald's employee] did apologize and she did give us our money back," said Redmon. "But what upset us was the way she was apologizing. It was like she just put pickles on a sandwich and I asked for no pickles. When in reality, she gave us a year old milk."
Redmon wants this story to be a lesson.
"If you're an employee, you're looking at the expiration date," said Redmon. "And if you're the parent handing it to your child, just make sure. Just look at it and make sure because you don't know what they're doing in the store."
News 18 reached out to McDonald's for comment, but have yet to hear back.
- Woman's warning about a West Lafayette McDonald's
- McDonald's is going green
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Woman arrested following Lafayette shooting
- Missing Lafayette woman found safe
- West Lafayette leaf pickup begins Tuesday
- West Lafayette's George Karlaftis commits to Purdue
- Benton Central tops West Lafayette 44-39
- HIGHLIGHTS: West Lafayette 75, Attica 37 (BBB)