FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) - Three people are dead after shots rang out early Thursday morning just north of downtown. Emergency personnel responded to the area of Fourth and Harrison streets around 12:05 where they found a man on a sidewalk suffering from gunshot wounds.
Medics took him to a hospital in critical condition, where he died a short time later.
While police were responding to the first scene, they got a call about a crash a few blocks away near Fourth and Wells streets. When they got there, they found two men inside the vehicle that had crashed into a parked car. Both men inside were also suffering from gunshot wounds.
One of those victims was pronounced dead at the scene. The other was transported to a hospital where he eventually died.
Police are still working to confirm what led to the shooting and how the victims are connected.
No suspect information was immediately available.
Several witnesses came forward to police and gave an account of what they saw. Investigators said they're hopeful that information could help clear up what happened.
Detectives were also collecting security camera footage around the area, which includes a small shopping mall and a bar.
Fourth Street was closed from Wells to Clinton street while investigators worked the scene. It took several hours to clear the scene because of how big it was.
The shooting is still under investigation. The names of the victims will be released by the Allen County Coroner at a later time.
- 3 dead in Fort Wayne shooting
- Woman sentenced for fatal shooting at Fort Wayne motel
- Medical device supplier plans Fort Wayne expansion
- IPFW officially becomes Purdue University Fort Wayne
- 3 Fort Wayne students hospitalized after taking unknown drug
- Fort Wayne mayor could veto contractor campaign donor limits
- The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo welcomes baby giraffe
- Emily Kenny lifts Purdue softball past Fort Wayne
- Young giraffe makes brief escape at Fort Wayne zoo
- US House taps Fort Wayne hangar for National Airmail Museum