CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A McCutcheon High School automotive class is paying it forward by helping out a Clinton County humane society.
For some students at McCutcheon, they look forward to one particular class period -- automotive class. In the class, students put sweat and muscle into hard work.
"People have really gone away from the whole farmer, chisel, working in the dirt thing," said student Hannah Baughman. "I know it's kind of weird being a girl, but I think it's totally great. I love welding."
Automotive teacher Rob Jakes said he wants to teach his students more than just welding. He aims to teach them the importance of helping others.
"I'm always looking for a community service project that my students can get involved in," said Jakes.
That's when Jakes came across a Facebook post put out by the Clinton County Humane Society.
"People from the humane society posted on Facebook that they needed some help replacing their floor drains," said Jakes. "They had priced some and I think it was rather expensive."
The drain covers in the humane society were falling apart and becoming a safety hazard to the dogs in the shelter.
"The ones that we got were really worn down and rotten and rusted out," said student Edgar Magallanes.
Jakes then offered for his automotive class to make new drain covers for free. The class finished making 53 drain covers Wednesday.
"From here, they will go to the Kelly group, which is a local business in town. They are going to do all of the powder coating on them and then from there they will go to the humane society and they're going to install them themselves," said Jakes.
As the students continue to cut, pound and slice, they're also hammering out a way to help others.
"I think they've turned out pretty spectacular for a bunch of high schoolers," said Baughman.
Jakes said he's hoping he can take the class on a field trip to the humane society after the new drains are installed.
- McCutcheon H.S. class makes new drain covers for humane society
- McCutcheon musical to touch on topic of human trafficking
- Bowling event helps humane society 'strike out suffering'
- Frankfort City Council discusses Clinton County Humane Society's budget
- Mayor McBarnes threatens veto of Humane Society program
- McCutcheon's Will Persin makes cross country trek for college
- McCutcheon's Phinisee signs with Indiana
- McCutcheon baseball blanks Benton Central
- SCORES: HS Basketball (12/22/17)
- McCutcheon eyes first sectional title since 1999