BREAKING NEWS: Duke Energy hopes to have all power in Greater Lafayette restored by 6 p.m. Monday Full Story

Teen treated for burns, smoke inhalation after clothes accidentally set on fire

A 15-year-old was hospitalized for treatment of his burns after accidentally setting his clothes on fire in the 100 b...

Posted: Dec. 28, 2017 6:27 AM
Updated: Dec. 28, 2017 6:27 AM

A 15-year-old was hospitalized for treatment of his burns after accidentally setting his clothes on fire in the 100 block of Pleasant Court Monday.

Dispatchers received a call advising of a grass fire around 3:50 p.m. Fire personnel arrived at the scene to find the fire extinguished and a teenage boy suffering from burns to his hands, arms and face. The boy was reportedly riding a bicycle in a nearby drainage ditch behind local apartment when his clothes ignited, causing burns to his body.

At the time of the incident, the boy had some type of device containing lighter fluid. He was treated at the scene and taken to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters for treatment of second-degree burns.

Fire officials say this incident was not a Christmas-related fire. There did not appear to be any structural damage to the residence where the fire took place.

There is no further information.

Article Comments

West Lafayette
Clear
38° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 34°
Kokomo
Clear
38° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 33°
Rensselaer
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 31°
Fowler
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 31°
Williamsport
Clear
38° wxIcon
Hi: 52° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 32°
Crawfordsville
Scattered Clouds
37° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 32°
Frankfort
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 37°
Delphi
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 32°
Monticello
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 32°
Logansport
Clear
32° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 27°
Warmer start to work week
WLFI Radar
WLFI Temps
WLFI Planner

Community Events